Doka or Oysters are bivalve mussels. They belong to the same family of snails. Their body is made out of two kind of flesh soft and tough. The earlier one is the part of their body that always rests inside the shell while the later one is the front part which is outside the shell. Both the parts can be segregated and brought in different use, like the soft flesh can just be fried with onion and taken up as a good starter or accompaniment with cocktails.
One can also make very good broth or stew with Doka (the variation recipe I’ve advised below this authentic recipes that one can try out) In mithilanchal people consume Doka during rainy season as during that time they are found in abundance in paddy fields making them the best food for farmers.
Mustard oil: 75 ml
Coriander Pd: 25gms
Cumin Pd: 25gms
Red Chilly Pd: 15gms
Whole hot spices: Cardamom large & small, Cinamon, Bayleaf, clove
Chopped Tomato: 75gms Optional.
- Detach oysters from the shell, make a paste of Ginger, Garlic and slice onion
- Parboil the oysters and take it aside.
- Deep fry Parboiled oysters with a pinch of salt and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan , add the tempering of Whole hot spices, when they start crackle, put Onion ginger, garlic and fry till golden brown in colour with a pinch of salt..
- Add powdered masalas now and fry till the raw flavor goes off, then add tomatoes cook it for a minute or two
- Add the fried oysters now and mix it well with the masala paste. Finally add water and simmer for 7-10 minutes. Serve hot finally garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
Variation: Fresh Doka Stew
Salt: as required
Rice: 30 gms
Coriander Leaf for garnish
Refined Oil: 20ml
- Detach oysters and parboil and chop it . Finally chop onion, garlic & ginger. Soak rice for 30 minutes
- Heat oil in a pan, put a tempering of Whole hot spices,
- Add onion, garlic,ginger chops. Sauté and sweat with a pinch of salt and turmeric,
- When translucent in colour add boiled chopped oysters and fry it over a moderate heat, add brandy and reduce.
- Add soaked rice and mix it well. Finally add water and simmer till the rice is cooked.